Do not get why anyone with Windows XP SP2 or higher with built in firewall would use this

May 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Do you really think anyone can maintain an accurate and up-to-date list from 4,294,967,296 internet addresses that change ownership daily? Windows built-in free firewall has way better features and options than all of the spyware installing, ad click junk that uses this bogus list. I would like to see some windows shell scripts that add this list to the windows firewall without any third party software, I may do it myself but I am just learning about all the scams in the p2p scheme. I just finished compiling your updater in Visual Studio 2008, so I can say it is only useful as a great programming example. The practical reasons it exist are not really valid. Can I has a reality check?
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2014 at 2:39 AM
Hi.

The IP blocklist and Windows firewall are generally for very different purposes.

The firewall is mostly to prevent external computers on your local network and the internet from accessing ports and services on your machine without your permission.

The idea behind the ipfilter in uTorrent is that it's very specifically protecting you from malicious or spying peers for when you're using BitTorrent.

There are some good alternatives like updating your hosts file to block various IP address and domains, which is maybe the best way to block these things without having to rely on 3rd party software like firewalls, peer blockers, ad blockers. I found the best reason to put blocked domains and IPs in the hosts file is that it works across all browsers and apps on your machine.

So my recommendation would be:
  1. Use a firewall (Windows Firewall built-in is great, and I'd be sceptical of any 3rd party stuff without research).
  2. If using peer-to-peer (P2P) software, use a blocklist to help your security and privacy (but as you suggest, it may be debatable how reliable that can always be, but it's certainly better than nothing)
The idea behind this utility I made is to reduce the time and effort required to keep the list up to date. I don't maintain the lists so it definitely depends on the reliability of the lists themselves.
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:10 PM
I read online too many times that the answer to life is "haters gonna hate."

WTH is your problem, spyunderwear?